Vegetable Chocolate Brownie
With tomatoes and parsley coming to the end of the season, this recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
90g dark cooking chocolate
2 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
½ cup carrot puree (Trim ends of carrot and chop into chunks, steam till tender then puree in food processor till smooth)
½ cup spinach puree (Using green leaf of spinach blanch till slight change of colour, remove from boiling water, run under cold water, squeeze of excess liquid, and blend till smooth)
½ brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp instant coffee (optional)
½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
¼ tsp cardamom (optional)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg whites whisked
¾ self raising flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease an 8x8 inch baking tray and line with baking paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
3. In a large bowl combine the melted chocolate and butter mixture, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla. Whisk till smooth and creamy.
4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt with wooden spoon.
5. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 35-40 mins.
7. Cool completely in the pan before cutting.