History and design of the Chapel
Built in 1916, the chapel was originally built with monastic style seating where novices sat in stalls facing each other near the altar. The more senior nuns sat in stalls across the back of the chapel.
The design of the roof and interior is the same as the chapel at Bishop's Court, Seymour Street. All the windows were originally stained glass, but some of the side windows were eventually removed and replaced with amber glass to lighten up the interior.
The building is 50 x 24 feet and 28 feet to the apex of the roof which is framed with scissor trusses containing stylised trefoils within the bracing. The apsidal chancel is 17 feet across and contains four stained glass windows presented by Mrs L Mockler in memory of her late husband Lawrence Mockler. The walls are in English bond brickwork with rendered openings, string lines, buttress caps and a crenellated parapet around the chancel and sacristy. The roof is clad with diamond pattern asbestos slates with terra-cotta crestings.