4 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Plain flour
2 Cups milk
1 Cup shredded cheddar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Leek white part only chopped
2 Stalks of celery diced
2 Carrots diced
4 Cloves of garlic minced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme removed from stalk
2 Tbsp Seeded mustard
Half head of broccoli cut into small bite sized pieces
Half head cauliflower cut into small bite pieces
2 cups mushrooms cut into chunks
3 cups fresh spinach, rainbow chard or kale shredded
½ Cup melted butter
2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Pre heat oven to 180˚c.
2. Melt butter in medium sized saucepan, stir with wooden spoon until it is golden with a nutty scent.
3. Add flour and stir continuously over low heat to cook out the flour. Will become a sandy colour and smells biscuity.
4. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously with whisk. The mixture will thicken a lot at first. Stir vigorously and as you add more milk the mixture will loosen.
5. Once all milk is added, slowly add cheese until all melted in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put sauce to the side.
6. In a large saucepan heat olive oil. Add leeks and cook until soft. Add celery and carrot. Cook until slightly tender (approx. 3 minutes).
7. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add thyme and mustard, cook for another minute.
8. Add broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and spinach. Stir to combine. Cook for approx. 5 minutes, until veggies lightly cooked.
9. Pour sauce over cooked vegetables and stir until vegetables are coated.
10. Place vegetable mixture into baking dish.
11. Take 2 sheets of filo pastry. With a pastry brush, lightly brush with melted butter (alternatively, spay with oil). Place the sheets together and loosely roll lengthways into a sausage shape then twist loosely into a spiral. Place on top of vegetable mixture. Continue until pie is covered.
12. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
13. Bake pie in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until pastry is browned.
Enjoy served with garden salad!