Spicy Chickpea Shakshuka
With tomatoes and parsley coming to the end of the season, this recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 tbsp olive oil
½ medium brown onion, thinly sliced
½ large red capsicum, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cumin
pinch of dried chilli flakes, to taste
1 x 400g can diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes put through a food processor
100g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
50g low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 large eggs
2 slices sourdough bread, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, paprika, coriander, cumin and chilli flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
3. Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chickpeas, stir to combine and continue to simmer for a further 4-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir through the feta and half the chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove from the heat.
5. Divide the tomato mixture evenly into two ovenproof ramekins and place them on a baking tray. Using the back of a spoon, make a large indent in the tomato mixture and gently crack an egg into each indentation. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, if desired.
6. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
7. Meanwhile, toast the bread to your liking.
8. To serve, sprinkle over the remaining parsley and serve immediately with toasted sourdough bread on the side. Enjoy!