With pears in season this spiced pear cake is perfect to enjoy on cooler autumn days.
melted butter to grease pan
170g butter at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
¼ cup pear juice
3 soft pears, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
½ cup walnuts chopped
¼ cup Sultanas
3 teaspoons mixed spice.
1. Preheat oven to 170˚c. Brush, to lightly grease, a 20cm round cake tin with butter. Line with baking paper.
2. Beat together butter and sugar in bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well at each addition. Sift the flour over butter mixture and fold until just combined. Add pear juice and fold to combine.
3. Stir in pear, walnuts, sultanas and mixed spice. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth over the top.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 ¼ hrs or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Set aside to cool in pan for 10mins. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely.